The research focus of our Stroke and Neuroprotection Laboratory is to find new and to optimize existing neuroprotective strategies that can help to minimize brain damage after stroke. Furthermore, we aim to study and characterize molecular mechanisms involved in ischemic-hypoxic damage and reperfusion-reoxygenation-induced neuronal death.
Our goal is to provide translational research with a close link to clinical application.
The research focus of our Stroke and Neuroprotection Laboratory is to find new and to optimize existing neuroprotective strategies that can help to minimize brain damage after stroke. Furthermore, we aim to study and characterize molecular mechanisms involved in ischemic-hypoxic damage and reperfusion-reoxygenation-induced neuronal death. Our goal is to provide translational research with a close link to clinical application.
- 29 87615
1. Scutelnic A, …, Ferro JM, Coutinho JM, Arnold M, Poli S*, Heldner MR* (*contributed equally): Management of Cerebral Venous Thrombosis Due to Adenoviral COVID-19 Vaccination. Ann Neurol 2022, 92(4):562-573. doi: 10.1002/ana.26431
2. Wenzel DA, Kromer R, Poli S, …, Casagrande MK, Spitzer MS, Schultheiss M: Optical coherence tomography-based determination of ischaemia onset - the temporal dynamics of retinal thickness increase in acute central retinal artery occlusion. Acta Ophthalmol 2021, 99(2):e247-e252. doi: 10.1111/aos.14563
3. Wang Y, Choi JH, Almekhlafi MA, Ziemann U, Poli S: A System for Continuous Pre- to Post-reperfusion Intra-carotid Cold Infusion for Selective Brain Hypothermia in Rodent Stroke Models. Transl Stroke Res 2021, 12(4):676-687. doi: 10.1007/s12975-020-00848-3
4. Schulz JB, Berlit P, Diener HC, Gerloff C, Greinacher A, Klein C, Petzold GC, Piccininni M, Poli S, Rohrig R, Steinmetz H, Thiele T, Kurth T, German Society of Neurology S-C-VSG: COVID-19 Vaccine-Associated Cerebral Venous Thrombosis in Germany. Ann Neurol 2021, 90(4):627-639. doi: 10.1002/ana.26172
5. Härtig F, Birschmann I, Peter A, …, Zuern CS, Ziemann U, Poli S: Specific Point-of-Care Testing of Coagulation in Patients Treated with Dabigatran. Thromb Haemost 2021, 121(6):782-791. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1721775
6. Castaneda-Vega S, Katiyar P, Russo F, …, Pichler BJ, Disselhorst JA*, Poli S* (*contributed equally): Machine learning identifies stroke features between species. Theranostics 2021, 11(6):3017-3034. doi: 10.7150/thno.51887
7. Mac Grory B, Nackenoff A, Poli S, Spitzer MS, Nedelmann M, Guillon B, et al.: Intravenous Fibrinolysis for Central Retinal Artery Occlusion: A Cohort Study and Updated Patient-Level Meta-Analysis. Stroke 2020, 51(7):2018-2025. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.119.028743
8. Schultheiss M, Hartig F, Spitzer MS, …, Ziemann U, Bartz-Schmidt KU, Poli S: Intravenous thrombolysis in acute central retinal artery occlusion - A prospective interventional case series. PLoS One 2018, 13(5):e0198114. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0198114
9. Poli S, Baron JC, Singhal AB, Hartig F: Normobaric hyperoxygenation: a potential neuroprotective therapy for acute ischemic stroke? Expert Rev Neurother 2017, 17(12):1131-1134. doi: 10.1080/14737175.2017.1376657
10. Geisler T*, Poli S* (*contributed equally), Meisner C, …, Schlegel U, Gawaz M, Ziemann U: Apixaban for treatment of embolic stroke of undetermined source (ATTICUS randomized trial): Rationale and study design. Int J Stroke 2017, 12(9):985-990. doi: 10.1177/1747493016681019
11. Steiner T*, Poli S* (*contributed equally), Griebe M, …, Weimar C, Hacke W, Veltkamp R: Fresh frozen plasma versus prothrombin complex concentrate in patients with intracranial haemorrhage related to vitamin K antagonists (INCH): a randomised trial. Lancet Neurol 2016, 15(6):566-573. doi: 10.1016/s1474-4422(16)00110-1
12. Poli S, Diedler J, Härtig F, …, Gawaz M, Ziemann U, Zuern CS: Insertable cardiac monitors after cryptogenic stroke--a risk factor based approach to enhance the detection rate for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Eur J Neurol 2016, 23(2):375-381. doi: 10.1111/ene.12843
13. Purrucker JC, Hametner C, Engelbrecht A, Bruckner T, Popp E, Poli S: Comparison of stroke recognition and stroke severity scores for stroke detection in a single cohort. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015, 86(9):1021-1028. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2014-309260
14. Ebner M, Peter A, Spencer C, …, Blumenstock G, Ziemann U, Poli S: Point-of-Care Testing of Coagulation in Patients Treated With Non-Vitamin K Antagonist Oral Anticoagulants. Stroke 2015, 46(10):2741-2747. doi: 10.1161/strokeaha.115.010148
15. Esposito E, Ebner M, Ziemann U, Poli S: In cold blood: intraarteral cold infusions for selective brain cooling in stroke. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2014, 34(5):743-752. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2014.29
16. Poli S, Veltkamp R: Oxygen therapy in acute ischemic stroke - experimental efficacy and molecular mechanisms. Current molecular medicine 2009, 9(2):227-241. doi: 10.2174/156652409787581619
Outpatient Clinic Stroke and Cerebral Blood Supply
This specialised outpatient clinic deals with patients who have experienced a stroke due to an arterial vessel blockage or an intracranial bleed as well as patients with disorders of the arteries and veins responsible for blood supply to the brain.
We work closely with the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, the Department of Thoracic, Heart and Vascular Surgery, Neurosurgery as well as Cardiology which enables us to advise patients as objectively as possible (e.g. regarding invasive techniques such as vessel stenting and operations, interventional closure of patent foramen ovale (PFO) and left atrial appendage (LAA), insertable cardiac monitors). Being a neurovascular study centre, we are able to offer novel treatment strategies in the setting of clinical trials.
Please find details regarding our specialised outpatient clinics, including contact person and further information on our Website “Spezialambulanz Schlaganfall und Hirngefäße“.