The Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research (HIH) and the Clinic of Neurology at University Hospital Tübingen run the “Center of Neurology”. Founded in 2001, the center owes its existence to an agreement between several entities: the non-profit Hertie Foundation, the state of Baden Württemberg, the Medical Faculty of the University of Tübingen, and the Tübingen University Hospital. The underlying bundling of public resources and private funds is unique in Germany.
At present, the HIH is home to 24 professors, about 400 employees and more than 30 research groups. Together they ensure the smooth running of clinical research, care and educational training.
The Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research currently comprises the following 6 departments, of which the first four are involved in clinical care:
- Neurology with Neurovascular Medicine (Director: Prof. Dr. Ulf Ziemann)
- Neurodegeneration (Director: Prof. Dr. Thomas Gasser)
- Neurology and Epileptology (Director: Prof. Dr. Holger Lerche)
- Neurology and Interdisciplinary Neuro-Oncology (Director: Prof. Dr. Dr. Ghazaleh Tabatabai)
- Neural Dynamics and Magnetoencephalography (Director: Prof. Dr. Markus Siegel)
- Cellular Neurology (Director: Prof. Dr. Mathias Jucker).